If you’re a student at Ohio University, you may be looking for things to do this winter, both on and off campus. Thankfully, the town of Athens fosters a real sense of community and offers a variety of activities for students and families in the area to engage with during the cold winter months.
If you’re looking for something exciting to do to start your new year off right in January, or want to know about the variety of events that will be going on until the last day of winter, check out our list of 20 suggestions below:
Ohio University On-Campus Winter Activities
Ohio University students looking to get involved, or at least learn something new about their university, can attend any of the exciting events below!
- Ohio University Athletic Events – During the winter season, student athletes at Ohio University can be spotted on the court, in the pool, and more. Fellow students and local residents can cheer on the Bobcats at indoor events such as basketball, volleyball, swimming and wrestling.
- Indoor Ice Skating – On Ohio University’s campus at Bird Arena, students and families can go ice skating on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Late-night skating is also available in January and February!
- Ohio University Sibs Weekend – The weekend of February 2-4 is Sibs Weekend in Athens, so give your siblings a taste of your Athens experience and bring them to campus!
- Performance: A Broad Scope – All day long from January 23 to February 17, you can view various live performances and artistic presentations at the Ohio University Art Gallery, put on by students and special guests.
- CMT Next Women of Country – This concert series at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium features country singer Sara Evans.
- School of Visual Communications Student Show – This reoccurring event is held throughout January and showcases work from several student organizations such as The Post, Thread Magazine, and more.
- Latitude 39 Customer Appreciation Week – This on-campus restaurant is hosting a customer appreciation week from January 16-20 with raffle drawings, specials and more.
- Kennedy Museum: 50 Year Journey – This ongoing event is an exhibition of 36 pieces of art that span the career of Ron Kroutel, a professor at Ohio University’s School of Art + Design.
- 5v5 Basketball Tournament – Grab some friends and register for this year’s indoor basketball tournament, held on various days from January 20-28, at Ping Student Recreation Center.
- The Government Inspector – Come see Ohio University’s student theatre production of The Government Inspector on March 1-3 and 6-9, at the E. E. Baker Theater.
Off-Campus Events During the Winter in Athens, Ohio
If you’re looking for fun things to do in Athens, Ohio beyond being on campus, check out one or all of the events below!
- Designated Space – Every Tuesday at 9 p.m. you can go to Donkey Coffee for Designated Space, a poetry, prose, and spoken word open stage. Give it a look!
- Bowling at Rollerbowl Lanes – This bowling alley is open seven days a week, and on Tuesdays your third game is free when you buy two from 6-11 p.m.
- Fiber Thursdays – This event at the Dairy Barn Arts Center occurs weekly and features a different artist who will demonstrate a craft or be available to help individuals with art projects of their own.
- Read with Dogs – Every third Wednesday of the month, book and dog lovers can experience the best of both worlds at the Wells (Albany) Public Library by reading with dogs from Calm Companions in Athens.
- Vinyl Tuesdays at the Taproom – Every Tuesday, you can bring your own vinyl albums to Jackie O’s and the staff will play them for you on their record player so you can sip a beer to the music of your choice.
- Open Stage at Smiling Skull Saloon – On Tuesdays, the Smiling Skull Saloon hosts an open stage event where you can come to watch others or perform your own songs, poetry and more.
- Old-Time Jam Night – Head over to Little Fish Brewing Company on Wednesday nights for bluegrass and string band musical performances by local artists.
- Karaoke Night at Smiling Skull Saloon – On Wednesday nights, this Athens, Ohio saloon hosts a karaoke night where anybody can come sing a song of their choice.
- Donkey Musicians’ Open Stage – Donkey Coffee hosts an open stage for musicians to showcase their material every Thursday night starting at 8 p.m.
- Athena Cinema – This movie theatre not only shows the latest in film, but also hosts events for its moviegoers, such as film discussions and limited screenings of select flicks.
Stay Warm This Winter at University Commons!
In addition to these on- and off-campus events, residents can stay warm in their apartments, our welcoming lobby, and our clubhouse, the latter featuring a gym to help you stay active.
To learn more about our features and amenities, feel free to contact our team today. We look forward to hearing from you!